Picanto en tu Uni
Dr. Saad A. Khan will be offering a lecture titled: “Picking Materials That Make a Difference: Soft Solids, Colloidal Gels and Nanofibrous Structures ”.
Date: October 1st, 2015
Time: 2:00pm – 3:00 pm
Place: INQU 004 – Amphitheater
“Picking Materials That Make a Difference: Soft Solids, Colloidal Gels and Nanofibrous Structures ”
In this presentation, we will present vignettes of various research projects in our group, the focus of which have primarily been on multicomponent soft materials. Examples will be drawn from, various classes of polymeric, colloidal, nanoparticulate and biological systems, to elucidate the relationship between material microstructure/morphology, chemistry, formulation and macroscopic behavior. We hope to illustrate this notion by using examples of (a) surface-modified silica and nanodiamond dispersions/gels in which the interaction of surface groups with the dispersing media is controlled to develop gels with predicted moduli, (b) photo-activated polymer hydrogels wherein we examine the gelation of alginate undergoing a two-step ionic crosslinking upon ultraviolet (UV) irradiation using in situ dynamic rheology, (c) hydrophobically-modified associative polymers in which the role of hydrophobic interactions will be modulated using surfactants, cyclodextrin and enzymes; and (d) functional electrospun nanofibers templated with nanoparticles or encapsulated with enzymes for use in sensors, batteries and regenerative medicine.
• Princeton University Chemical Engineering B.S.E., 1980
• Massachusetts Institute of Technology Chemical Engineering Ph.D., 1985
• AT&T Bell Laboratories, NJ Postdoctoral Member of Technical Staff 1985-1987
• Alcoa Professor 2009-
• Alumni Distinguished Graduate Professor 2006-
• Professor, Chemical Engineering, North Carolina State University 2001-
• Professor (associate appointment), Food Sci & Wood & Paper Sci., NCSU 2000-
• Director of Graduate Program, Chemical Engineering, North Carolina State University 1998-
• Associate Professor, Chemical Engineering, North Carolina State University 1993-2000
• Member of Technical Staff, Bell Communications Research, Red Bank, NJ 1987-1992
Our research program focuses on fabrication, rheology and processing behavior of novel and complex materials. Various classes of polymeric, soft-solids, gels, colloidal, nanoparticulate and biological systems are of interest to us. We are also engaged in engineering and characterizing functional fibers, from macro to electrospun nanofibers. Our work, by nature, tends to be inter-disciplinary with strong collaboration both within and outside the university. A common binding thread in our work is the emphasis on unearthing relationships between material micro/molecular structure, chemistry, and macroscopic properties. Our area of interest include crop protection, clean water and air, skin care, drug delivery, energy storage, and composites. Within this context, recent and/or ongoing projects in our group include:
• Self-assembled nanoparticulate silica and nanodiamond gels: interactions, micrcostructure, rheology
• Photo crosslinked polymers: gelation and crosslinking
• Synthesis and characterization of nanocomposite polymer electrolytes
• Rheology/interactions of self-assembled associative polymers with surfactants and cyclodextrins
• Depolymerization of polyethylene terepthalate using supercritical carbon dioxide
• Microstructure and rheology of polymer clay nanocomposites
• Supercritical carbon dioxide facilitated micro- and nano-cellular thin film foams, polymer melt rheology
• Functional electrospun nanofibers of associative- and bio polymers [drug delivery, tissue scaffold]
• Nano-particle templated nanofibers
• Enzyme immobilized nanofibers for biocatalysis and sensors
• Nanofibrous structures for energy storage devices
• Enzymatic modification of water-soluble polymer and gels
• Polysaccharide-based oral drug delivery via enzymatic modification of gels and nanofibers
• Gelation of whey proteins through combined heat and enzyme treatment
• Gelation of cellulose acetate in mixed solvents
Scholarly and Professional Honors
• R.J. Reynolds Award for Teaching, Research & Extension (highest award NCSU’s Engineering), 2010
• Alumni Association Outstanding Research Award, 2009
• Member Scientific Board, International Symp. On Food Rheology & Structure, Zurich 2009
• Keynote Speaker: 3rd Int’l. Conf. on Engineering Sciences & Technologies, Cairo Egypt, March 2008.
• Alumni Distinguished Graduate Professorship Award, 2006
CV | Page 2
• Alcoa Foundation Distinguished Engineering Research Award, 2002
• NC State University Academy of Outstanding Teachers Award, 2001
• Who’s Who in the World, 1999
• Research concept featured on the cover of DOE’s Annual Report on Exploratory Technology Research Program for Electrochemical Energy Storage (1998)
• Invited Participant in DOE Workshops on Batteries and Fuel Cells, Aug, 1999, Oct 1997.
• Alcoa Engineering Research Achievement Award, NCSU, 1997
• Invited speaker and panelist, National Research Council (of the National Academy of Science & Eng’g.) Workshop on Aviation Fuels, 1996.
• Visiting Professor, University of Campinas, Campinas, SP Brazil, 1997.
• Who’s Who in Science & Engineering, 1995
• DuPont Young Faculty Award , 1994-1996
• United Nations Visiting Scientist to Bangladesh (Jan.’92)
• Phi Beta Kappa (1980), Tau Beta Pi (1979), AIChE Scholastic Award (1978)
• Meeting co-organizer, Colloidal, Macromolecular and Biological Gels: Formulation, Properties and Applications; ECI Conference, Schloss Hernstein, Hernstein, Austria, July 10-14, 2016
• Organizing committee, Nanofibers, Applications and Related Technologies (NART) Conference, Liberac, Czech Republic, Aug. 31-Sep 2, 2015
• Scientific Advisory Board, Tethis Co., February 2015-
• Session Organizer, International Congress on Rheology, Lisbon Portugal, Aug 2012
• External Advisory Board, U. Maryland College Park, Chemical & Biomolecular Engg Dept., Apr. 2012-present
• Editorial Board, Journal of Materials, July 2012-present; Nano Hybrids, Jun 2011-present, Frontiers in Chemistry, 2014-
• International/External Reviewer for Tenure & Promotion, Quaid-E-Azam University, Pakistan, 2010-
• Session organizer, International Congress of Rheology, Portugal, Aug. 2012
• Mtg. co-organizer, Annual Mtg. of the Society of Rheology, Santa Fe NM, Oct. 2010
• Participant in various NSF panels: 2000-2015
• Mtg. co-organizer, Engineering Foundation Conference: Associations in Solutions II, Portugal, Jul. 2009
• Exec Committee Member, Society of Rheology, 2008-
• Editorial Board, International J. of Polymer Sci., 2008-
• Session Chair, International Congress on Rheology, Monterrey CA, Aug. 2008
• Session Organizer, 82nd Colloids & Surface Sci Symposium, Raleigh NC, Jun 2008
• Session Chair, 3rd International Conference on Engineering Sciences & Technology, Cairo Egypt, March 2008
• Mtg. Organizer, Engineering Foundation Conference: Associations in Solutions, Tuscany Italy, Jun 2007
• Session Chair, International Congress on Rheology, Seoul Korea, Aug. 2004
• Member, Technical Advisory Board, Polymer Center of Excellence, Charlotte, NC, 1996-2004
• Invited to NASA proposal review panel, Mar 2004
• Session organizer, AIChE Annual Mtg., Reno, NV, Nov. 2001
• Technical Program Co-organizer, 72nd Annual Meeting of the Society of Rheology, Hilton Head SC, Feb 2001.
• Symposium Organizer, PACIFICHEM 2000, Honolulu HA, Dec. 2000
• Session Chair on Filled & Nanocomposite Polymer Materials, MRS Fall Mtg. Boston MA, Dec. 2000.
• Local Arrangements Committee, 5th International Conf. On Hydrocolloids, Raleigh NC, Sep. 2000.
• Session Chair on Gels, International Food Rheology Conference, Zurich, Switzerland, March 2000.
• Participant, DOE/Lawrence Berkeley Lab Review on Batteries for Advanced Technologies (BATT), 1999-2003
• Invited Participant & Speaker in NIST Workshop on Filled Polymers and Nano-structured Materials, June 1998.
• Symposium Co-organizer, ACS National Mtgs., Aug. 1999, 1997
• Participant in a Department of Energy Panel Review, 1996
• Session Chair, International Congress on Rheology, Aug. 1996.
• Session co-chair, 5th World Congress of Chemical Engineering, Jul. 1996.
• Session chair and organizer, AIChE Annual Meetings, Nov. 1995-1996.
• Session Co- chair and Co-organizer, AIChE Annual Meetings, Nov., 1990-1994.
CV | Page 3
• Session chair, Complex Fluids, Annual Meeting of the Society of Rheology, Oct. 1993
Graduate &Postdoctoral Advisors
Robert C. Armstrong (MIT, PhD); Ronald G. Larson (U. Michigan, postdoctoral)
Thesis Advisor & Postgraduate-Scholar Sponsor
Graduate (55 total, 5 MS, 50 Ph.Ds, 14 current PhDs): Adeola Adeokambi (MS 2002, Attorney NY), Ruchi Gupta (MS 2003, State Gov. NC), Chinmay Bhatt (MS 1997), Joanna Roberts (MS 1995), Chris Johnson (MS 2012, West Point)
Ph.Ds: Steve Barilovits (current), Mack Geiger (current), Joe Tilly (current), Ria Dormier (current), Barbara Farias (current), Amulya Pervaje (current), Jenny Overton (current), Anurodh Tripathi (current), Joseph Lavoie (current), Prajesh Adhikari (current), Zach Mundy (current), Nancy Burns (current), Marty Dufficy (current), Chris Cox (current), Khosrow Khodabandhelou (2014), Trevor Treasure (2014, Eastman), Alina Higham (2013, TA Instruments), Christina Tang (2012 Virginia Commonwealth U.), Mohammad Hassan (2013, Biax-Fiberfilm ),Tahira Pirzada (2013, Directorate of Educ., Pakistan), Chris Bonino (2011, RTI), Sara Arvidson (2011, Milliken), Annie Chu (2011), Josh Manasco (2010, Zeuss), Stephanie Sullivan (2011, DSM), Fatih Canbolat (2011, faculty, Turkey), Yakup Aykut (2011, Bursa Tech. Univ., Turkey), Amit Gupta (2008, GE), Sachin Talwar (2008, 3M), Joan Patterson (2007, Dow Corning), Angelica Sanchez (2006, Cabot), Shamsheer Mohammad (2006, Kraft), David Frankowski (2006, Dow), Collins Appaw (2005), Ahmed Eissa (2005; faculty Cairo University), Mike Riley (2002, faculty New Mexico Tech), Jeremy Walls (Ph.D 2002, RTI), Ahmed Abdala (Ph.D 2003, faculty, Petroleum Institute, UAE), Julie McCormick (2002, Michelin), Jeff Yerian (2003, Exxon-Mobil), Teri Walker (Ph.D 2003, Duke Hospital), Srinivas Siripurapu (2003, General Cable), Matt Burke (2001, GlaxoSmithKline), Vandita Pai (2001, SABIC), Joe Royer, (2000, Milliken), Jenny Shay (1999), Bor-Sen Chiou (1998, USDA), Srinivasa Raghavan (1998, faculty U. Maryland), Nirupama Kenkare (1998, Cibavision), Akash Tayal (1997, Balchem).
Postgraduate-Scholars and Visitors: Mark Marten (faculty, U. Maryland BC), Rob English (faculty Edinburg Napier Univ); Yvon Gay (Elf Atochem, France); Bor-Sen Chiou (USDA); Qizhou Dai (UBC Canada); Yangxing Li (FMC), Lauriane Scanu (Kraft), Xiangwu Zhang (NCSU, faculty Textiles), Filomena Costa (U. Minho, Portugal), Masataka Sugimoto (Yamagata University, Japan), Carl Saquing (DuPont), Ahmed Eissa (Cairo Univ.), Ali Rafe (RIFST, Iran), Akbar Shojaei (Sharif Univ, Iran), Antonio Guerrero (U. Seville, Spain), Michael Tam (U. Waterloo)
Publications (h index=44 from web of science; =52 from google scholar)
Foams: Theory, Measurements & Applications, eds. R.K. Prud’homme and S.A. Khan, Marcel-Dekker, ISBN 0-8247-9395-1, 1996.
Invited Book Chapters
4. Stephanie Sullivan, Ahmed Eissa, Saad A. Khan, “Rheology of Low pH whey protein concentrates”, in Whey Processing, Functionality and Health Benefits, ed. Charles Onwulata, Wiley-Blackwell Publishing (2008) 99-133.
3. A.Tayal, V.B. Pai, S.A. Khan, “Enzymatic Modification of Guar Solutions: Viscosity – Molecular Weight Relationship” in Water Soluble Polymers: Solution Properties and Applications, ed. Z. Amjad, Plenum Press (1998) 41-49.
2. S.A. Khan, J. Royer, S.R. Raghavan, “Rheology: Tools & Methods”, in Aviation Fuel Safety With Improved Fire Safety, National Academy Press (1997) 31-46.
1. R.K. Prud’homme, S.A. Khan, “Experimental Results on Foam Rheology”, in Foams: Theory, Measurements & Applications, Marcel Dekker, New York (1996) 217-242.
183. M. K. Dufficy, S. A. Khan and P.S. Fedkiw, “Galactomannan binding agents for silicon anodes in Li-ion batteries”, Journal of Materials Chemistry A (2015), 3, 12023-12030, DOI: 10.1039/C5TA03126E
182. A. A. Abdala,, S. Amin, J. H. van Zanten & S. A. Khan, “Tracer Microrheology Study of a Hydrophobically Modified Comblike Associative Polymer”, Langmuir (2015) DOI: 10.1021/la504904n
CV | Page 4
181. T. Jiang, W. Sun, Q. Zhu, N. A. Burns, S.A. Khan, R. Mo, and Z. Gu, “Furin-Mediated Sequential Delivery of Anticancer Cytokine and Small-Molecule Drug Shuttled by Graphene, Adv. Mater. (2015), 27, 1021–1028; DOI: 10.1002/adma.201404498
180. N.A. Burns, M. C. Burroughs, H. Gracz, C. Q. Pritchard, A. H. Brozena, J. Willoughby & S. A. Khan, “Cyclodextrin facilitated electrospun chitosan nanofibers”, RSC Adv. (2015) 5, 7131-7137; DOI: 10.1039/c4ra09662b
179. K. Khodabandehlou, A. S. Kumbhar, S. Habibi, A. A. Pandya, J. C. Luft, S. A. Khan, & J. M. DeSimone, “Silylated Precision Particles for Controlled Release of Proteins”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces (2015), 7, 5756−5767; DOI: 10.1021/am508520z
178. S.I. Jeong, N.A. Burns, C.A. Bonino, I.K. Kwon, S.A. Khan, & E. Alsberg, “Improved cell infiltration of highly porous 3D nanofibrous scaffolds formed by combined fiber-fiber charge repulsions and ultra-sonication”, Journal of Materials Chemistry B (2014) 2, 8116–8122.
177. T. Pirzada, S. A. Arvidson, C.D. Saquing, S.S. Shah & S.A. Khan, “Hybrid carbon silica nanofibers through sol-gel electrospinning”, Langmuir (2014) 30 (51), pp 15504–15513; DOI: 10.1021/la503290n.
176. C. Tang, C.D. Saquing, P.K. Sarrin, R.M. Kelly and S.A. Khan, “Nanofibrous Membranes for Single-Step Immobilization of Hyperthermophilic Enzymes”, J. Membrane Sci. (2014) 472, 251–260 DOI: 10.1016/j.memsci.2014.08.037
175. C. Tang, C.D. Saquing, S.W. Morton, B.N. Glatz, R.M. Kelly and S.A. Khan, “Cross-linked Polymer Nanofibers for Hyperthermophilic Enzyme Immobilization: Approaches to Improve Enzyme Performance”, ACS Appl. Mater Interfaces (2014) 6 (15), 11899–11906, DOI: 10.1021/am5033633
174. N.A. Burns, M. A. Naclerio, A. Shojaei, S.R. Raghavan and S.A. Khan, “Nanodiamond Gels in Nonpolar Media: Colloidal and Rheological Properties”, Journal of Rheology (2014) 58(5), 1599-1614.
173. A.K. Higham, C.A. Bonino, S.R.. Raghavan and S.A. Khan, “Photo-Activated Ionic Gelation of Alginate Hydrogel: Real-Time Rheological Monitoring of the Two-Step Crosslinking Mechanism”, Soft Matter, (2014), 10, 4990–5002, DOI: 10.1039/c4sm00411f
172. J.L. Manasco, C. Tang, N.A. Burns, C.D. Saquing, S.A. Khan, “Rapidly Dissolving Poly (vinyl alcohol)/ Cyclodextrin Electrospun Nanofibrous Membranes”, RSC Advances (2014) 4, 13274-13279, DOI: 10.1039/C3RA43836H.
171. A.K. Higham, C. Tang, A.M. Landry, M.C. Pridgeon, E.M. Lee, A.L. Andrady, and S.A. Khan, “Foam Electrospinning: A Multiple Jet, Needle-less Process for Nanofiber Production”, AIChE Journal (2014) 60 (4), 1355–1364, DOI 10.1002/aic.14381
170. S.T. Sullivan, C. Tang, A. Kennedy, S. Talwar, and S.A. Khan, “Electrospinning and Heat Treatment of Whey Protein Nanofibers”, Food Hydrocolloids (2014) 35, 36-50..
169. A.K. Higham, L.A. Garber, D.C. Latshaw II, C. K. Hall, J.A. Pojman, and S.A. Khan, “Gelation and Cross-Linking in Multifunctional Thiol and Multifunctional Acrylate Systems Involving an in Situ Comonomer Catalyst”, Macromolecules, (2014), 47 (2), pp 821–829
168. M.F. Canbolat, N. Gera, C. Tang, B. Monian, B.M Rao, B. Pourdeyhimi, & S.A. Khan, “Preservation of Cell Viability and Protein Conformation on Immobilization within Nanofibers via Electrospinning Functionalized Yeast”, ACS Appl. Mater Interfaces (2013) 5(19), 9349–9354 DOI 10.1021/am4022768
167. Y. Aykut, B. Pourdeyhimi, S.A. Khan, “Effects of surfactants on the microstructures of electrospun polyacrylonitrile nanofibers and their carbonized analogs”, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. (2013) 30(5), 3726-3735.
166. E. Blanco, S. Lam, S.K. Smoukov, K.P. Velikov, S.A. Khan, and O.D. Velev, “Stability and Viscoelasticity of Magneto-Pickering Foams”, Langmuir (2013) 29 (32), 10019–10027, DOI: 10.1021/la4014224
165. C.D. Saquing, C.Tang, B. Monian, C.A. Bonino, J.L. Manasco, E. Alsberg, S. A. Khan, “Alginate-PEO Blend Nanofibers and the Role of the Carrier Polymer in Electrospinning”, Ind. Eng. & Chem. Res. (2013) 52 (26), pp 8692–8704, DOI: 10.1021/ie302385b
CV | Page 5
164. Y. Aykut, B. Pourdeyhimi, S.A. Khan, “Catalytic graphitization and formation of mesoporous activated carbon nanofibers from salt-induced and H2S treated polyacrylonitrile”, Journal Of Materials Sci. (2013) 48(22), 7783-7790.
163. Y. Aykut, B. Pourdeyhimi, S.A. Khan, “Synthesis and characterization of silver/lithium cobalt oxide (Ag/LiCoO2) nanofibers via Sol-gel electrospinning”, Journal of Physics & Chemistry of Solids (2013) 74(11), 1538-1545.
162. B. Wang, R. R. Sharma-Shivappa, J. W. Olson, S. A. Khan, “Production of polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB) by Alcaligenes latus using sugarbeet juice”, Industrial Crops and Products (2013) 43, 802-811, DOI: 10.1016/j.indcrop.2012.08.011
161. Y. Aykut, G.N. Parsons, B.Pourdeyhimi, S. A. Khan, “Synthesis of mixed ceramic MgxZn1-xO nanofibers via Mg2+ doping using sol-gel electrospinning”, Langmuir (2013) 29 (12), 4159–4166, DOI: 10.1021/la400281c
160. M.A. Hassan, B. Pourdeyhimi, S.A. Khan, “Fabrication of Nanofiber Meltblown Membranes and their Filtration Properties”, J. Membrane Sci. (2013), 427(15), 336-344, DOI: 10.1016/j.memsci.2012.09.050
159. B.Gong, J.C. Spagnola, S.A. Arvidson, S.A. Khan, G.N. Parsons, “Directed inorganic modification of bi-component polymer fibers by selective vapor reaction and atomic layer deposition”, Polymer (2012), 53 (2), 4631-4636, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer. 2012.08.018
158. Y. Aykut, C.D. Saquing, B. Pourdeyhimi, G.N. Parsons, S.A. Khan, “Templating quantum dot to phase-transformed electrospun TiO2 nanofibers for enhanced photo-excited electron injection” ACS Appl. Mater Interfaces (2012) 4 (8), pp 3837–3845, DOI: 10.1021/am300524a
157. B. Wang, R. R. Sharma-Shivappa, J. W. Olson, S. A. Khan, “Upstream Process Optimization of Polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB) by Alcaligenes latus using Two-Stage Batch and Fed-batch Fermentation strategies”, Bioprocess Biosyst Eng (2012) 35, 1591-1602, DOI 10.1007/s00449-012-0749-6
156. E. Çak?r, S.A. Khan, E.A. Foegeding, “The effect of pH on gel structures produced using proteinepolysaccharide phase separation and network inversion”, International Dairy Journal (2012), 27, 99-102, doi:10.1016/j.idairyj.2012.03.013
155 A. Rafe, S. M.A. Razavi, S.A. Khan, “Rheological and structural properties of β-lactoglobulin and basil seed gum mixture: Effect of heating rate”, Food Research International (2012) 49(1), 32-38, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2012.07.017
154. C.Tang, A. E. Ozcam, B. Stout, and S. A. Khan, “Effect of pH on Protein Distribution in Electrospun PVA/BSA Composite NanoFibers”, Biomacromolecules (2012) 13(5) 169-1278, DOI: 10.1021/bm2017146
153. T. Pirzada, S. A. Arvidson, C. D. Saquing, S. S. Shah, S. A. Khan, “Hybrid Silica-PVA Nanofibers via Sol-gel Electrospinning”, Langmuir (2012) 28(13 5834-5844 DOI: 10.1021/la300049j)
152. J.L. Manasco, C.D. Saquing, C. Tang, and S.A. Khan, “Cyclodextrin Fibers via Polymer-free Electrospinning”, RSC Advances (2012) 2(9) 3778-3784 (DOI: 10.1039/C2RA00004K)
151. C.A. Bonino, K. Efimenko, S.I. Jeong, M.D. Krebs, E. Alsberg, S. A. Khan, “Three-Dimensional Electrospun Alginate Nanofiber Mats via Tailored Charge Repulsions”, Small (2012) 8(12) 1928-1936 DOI 10.1002/smll.201101791
150. S.A. Arvidson, K. C. Wong, R. E. Gorga, S.A. Khan, “Structure, molecular orientation, and resultant mechanical properties in core/sheath poly(lactic acid)/polypropylene composites”, Polymer (2012) 53-791-800 DOI: 10.1016/j.polymer.2011.12.042
149. S. A. Arvidson, K. E. Roskov, J. J. Patel, R. J. Spontak, S. A. Khan, and R. E. Gorga, “Modification of Melt-Spun Isotactic Polypropylene and Poly(lactic acid) Bicomponent Filaments with a Premade Block Copolymer”, Macromolecules (2012) 45, 913−925 DOI: 10.1021/ma202246h
148. C.A. Bonino, J.E. Samorezov, O. Jeon, E. Alsberg, and S.A. Khan, “Real-time in-situ Rheology of Alginate Hydrogel Photocrosslinking”, Soft Matter (2011) 7(24) 11510-11517 DOI: 10.1039/c1sm06109g
CV | Page 6
147 M.F. Canbolat, C. Tang, S.H.Bernacki, B. Pourdeyhimi, S.A.Khan, “Mammalian Cell Viability in Electrospun Composite Nanofiber Structures”, Macromoleular Bioscience (2011) 11(10), October 1346–1356, DOI 10.1002/mabi.201100108
146 C.A. Bonino, L. Ji, Z. Lin, O. Toprakci, X. Zhang, S. A. Khan, “Electrospun Carbon-Tin Oxide Composite Nanofibers for Use as Lithium Ion Battery Anodes”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces (2011) (July) 3(7) 2534-2542 DOI: 10.1021/am2004015
145 C.A. Bonino, M.D. Krebs, C. D. Saquing, S I Jeong, K. L. Shearer, E. Alsberg, S. A. Khan, “Electrospinning alginate-based nanofibers: From blends to crosslinked low molecular weight alginate-only systems”, Carbohydrate Polymers (2011) 85 (1) 111-119.
144 M.K. Gaines, S.D. Smith, J.Samseth, S.A. Khan, R.J. Spontak, “Nanoparticle Network Formation in Nanostructured 3 and Disordered Block Copolymer Matrices”, Nanoscale Res Lett (2010) 5(10) 1712-1718
143 S. Talwar, A.S. Krishnan, J.P. Hinestroza, B. Pourdeyhimi, S.A. Khan, “Electrospun Nanofibers with Associative Polymer-Surfactant Systems”, Macromolecules (2010) 43(18) 7650-7656 DOI: 10.1021/ma1013447
142. S.I. Jeong, M.D. Krebs, C.A. Bonino, J.E. Samorezov, S.A. Khan, and E. Alsberg, “Electrospun Chitosan–Alginate Nanofibers with In Situ Polyelectrolyte Complexation for Use as Tissue Engineering Scaffolds” Tissue Engineering: Part A (2011) January 17 (1/2) 59-70. DOI: 10.1089/ten.tea.2010.0086
141. A.S. Krishnan, S. Seifert, B. Lee, S.A. Khan and R.J. Spontak, “Cosolvent-regulated time–composition rheological equivalence in blockcopolymer solutions”, Soft Matter (2010) 6, 4331-4334.
140. S. Mahammad, G.W. Roberts, S. A. Khan, “Manipulation of Hydrophobic Interactions in Associative Polymers using Cyclodextrin and Enzyme”, Soft Matter, 2010, 6, 4237-4245.
139. S.I. Jeong, M.D. Krebs, C.A. Bonino, S.A. Khan, and E. Alsberg, “Electrospun alginate nanofibers with controlled cell adhesion for tissue engineering”, Macromolecular Bioscience, 2010, 10, 934-943, DOI: 10.1002/mabi.201000046
138. J. C. Spagnola, B. Gong, S. A. Arvidson, J. S. Jur, S. A. Khan and G. N. Parsons, “Surface and sub-surface reactions during low temperature aluminium oxide atomic layer deposition on fiber-forming polymers” J. Mater. Chem., (2010) 20, 4213-4222 DOI: 10.1039/c0jm00355g
137. C. Appaw, R.D. Gilbert, S.A. Khan, J.F. Kalda, “Phase separation and heat-induced gelation characteristics of cellulose acetate in a mixed solvent system “, Cellulose (2010), 17:533–538 DOI: 10.1007/s10570-010-9406-x
136. S.A. Arvidson, S.A. Khan, R.E Gorga, “Mesomorphic-R-Monoclinic Phase Transition in Isotactic Polypropylene:A Study of Processing Effects on Structure and Mechanical Properties”, Macromolecules (2010) 43 (6), 2916–2924 (DOI: 10.1021/ma1001645)
135. C.Tang, C.D. Saquing, S.A. Khan, “In Situ Cross-Linking of Electrospun Poly(vinyl alcohol) Nanofibers”, Macromolecules (2010) 43, 630-637.
134. C.D. Saquing, J.L. Manasco, S.A. Khan, “Electrospun Nanoparticle-Nanofiber Composites via a Novel One-Step Synthesis”, Small (2009) 5, 944-951.
133. Q.Peng, X-Y. Sun, J.C. Spagnola, C.D. Saquing, S.A. Khan, R.J. Spontak, G.N. Parsons, “Bi-Directional Kirkendall Effect in Coaxial Microtube Assemblies Fabricated by Atomic Layer Deposition”, ACS Nano (2009) 3, 546-554.
132. A. Gupta, C.D. Saquing, M. Afshari, R. Kotek, S.A. Khan, “Porous Nylon 6 Fibers via a Novel Salt-Induced Electrospinning Method,” Macromolecules (2009) 42, 709-715.
131. S. Talwar, J. Harding, S.A. Khan, “Surfactant-mediated Modulation of Hydrophobic Interactions in Associative Polymer Solutions Containing Cyclodextrin, Langmuir (2009) 25(2), 794-802.
130. S. Talwar, J.P. Hinestroza, B. Pourdeyhimi, S.A. Khan, “Associative Polymer Facilitated Electrospinning of Nanofibers,” Macromolecules (2008), 41, 4275-4283.
129. S. Talwar, L. Scanu, S.R. Raghavan, S.A. Khan, “Influence of Binary Surfactant Mixtures on the Rheology of Associative Polymer Solutions,” Langmuir (2008) 24, 7797-7802.
128. L. Ji, C. Saquing, S. A Khan and X. Zhang, “Synthesis and characterization of silica nanoparticulate-polyacrylonitrile composite and porous nanofibers” Nanotechnology (2008), 19, 085605 (9pp).
CV | Page 7
127. L.M. Bronstein, R.L. Karlinsey, Z. Yi, J. Carini, U. Werner-Zwanziger, P.V. Konarev, D.I. Svergun, A. Sanchez, S. Khan, “Composite solid polymer electrolytes based on pluronics: Does ordering matter?”, Chemistry of Materials (2007) 25, 6258-6265.
126. M. Shamsheer, G.W. Roberts, S.A. Khan, “Cyclodextrin-Hydrophobe Complexation in Associative Polymers”, Soft Matter (2007) 1185-1193.
125. C. Appaw, J.F. Kadla, S.A. Khan, “Viscoelastic Behavior of Cellulose Acetate in a Mixed Solvent”, Biomacromolecules (2007) 8, 1541-1547.
124. Frankowski, D. J.; Capracotta, M. D.; Martin, J. D.; Khan, S. A. and Spontak, R. J., “Stability of Organically-Modified Montmorillonites and Their Polystyrene Nanocomposites after Prolonged Thermal Treatment,” Chemistry of Materials, (2007) 19(11) 2757-2767.
123. D.J. Frankowski, S.A. Khan, R.J. Spontak, “Chain Scission-induced Intercalation as a Facile Route to Polymer Nanocomposites, Advanced Materials, (2007) 19(9), 949-956.
122. M. Shamsheer, D.A. Comfort, R.M. Kelly, S.A. Khan, “Rheological Properties of Guar Galactomannan Solutions During Hydrolysis with Galactomannanases and α-galactosidase Enzyme Mixtures”, Biomacromolecules (2007) 949-956.
121. Y. Li, J.A. Yerian, P.S. Fedkiw, S.A. Khan, “Crosslinkable Fumed Silica-based Nanocomposite Electrolytes for Rechargeable Lithium Batteries, J. Power Sources (2006) 1288-1296.
120. S. Talwar, L. F. Scanu, S.A. Khan, “Hydrophobic Interactions in Associative Polymer/Nonionic Surfactant Systems: Effects of Surfactant Architecture and System Parameters, Journal of Rheology (2006) 831-847.
119 S. Mahammad, R.K. Prud’homme, G.W. Roberts, S. A. Khan; “Kinetics of Enzymatic Depolymerization of Guar Galactomannan”, Biomacromolecules (2006), 2583-2590.
118. Q. Dai, Qizhou. S.A. Khan, J.F. Kadla, “Rheological Behaviour of Lyotropic (Acetyl) (Ethyl)Cellulose Solutions with Different Chiroptical Properties” Cellulose (2006) 213-223.
117. A.S. Eissa, C. Puhl, J.F. Kadla, and S.A. Khan, “Enzymatic Crosslinking of β-lactoglobulin: Conformational Properties Using FTIR Spectroscopy”, Biomacromolecules (2006), 1707-1713.
116 X.Guo, A.A. Abdala, B.L. May, S.F. Lincoln, S.A. Khan, R.K. Prud’homme, “Rheology Control by modulating hydrophobic inclusion associations in modified poly(acrylic acid) solutions”, Polymer 47 (2006) 2976-2983.
115. A.S. Eissa and S.A. Khan, “Modulation of Hydrophobic Interactions in Denatured Whey Proteins by Transglutaminase Enzyme”, Food Hydrocolloids 20(4) (2006) 543-547.
114. A.S. Eissa and S.A.. Khan, “Acid-induced Gelation of Enzymatically Modified, Preheated Whey Protein, J. Agricultural and Food Chemistry 53 (2005) 5010-5017.
113. S. Siripurapu, J. M. DeSimone, S. A. Khan and R. J. Spontak, “Controlled Foaming of Polymer Films through Restricted Surface Diffusion and the Addition of a Nanoscale Filler or CO2-philic Surfactants”, Macromolecules 38 (2005) 2271-2280.
112. A. Veleva, S.A. Khan, S. Cooper, “Oxidative and Hydrolytic Stability of a Novel Acrylic Terpolymer for Biomedical Applications”, J. Biomedical Materials Research: Part A. 74A (2005) 117-123.
111. M.D. Burke and S.A. Khan, “A Novel Enzymatic Technique for Limiting Drug Mobility in a Hydrogel Matrix,” J. Controlled Release 104 (2005) 141-153.
110. X. Guo, A.A. Abdala, B.L. May, S.F. Lincoln, and S.A.Khan, and R.K. Prud’homme, “Novel Associative Polymer Networks Based on Cyclodextrin Inclusion Compounds,” Macromolecules 38 (2005) 3037-3040.
109. D.J. Frankowski, S. Fournier-Bidoz, I. Manners, G.A. Ozin, S.A. Khan and R. J. Spontak, “Tuunable Microcellular Morphologies from Polyferrocenylsilane Ceramic Precursors Foamed in Supercritical CO2”, Macromolecular Chemistry & Physics 205 (2004) 2398-2408.
108. S.Siripurapu, J.A. Coughlan, R.J. Spontak and S.A. Khan, “Surface-Constrained Foaming of Polymer Thin Films with Supercritical Carbon Dioxide”, Macromolecules 37 (2004) 9872-9879.
107. A.A. Abdala, W. Wu, K.R.Olesen, R.D. Jenkins, A.E. Tonelli, S.A. Khan, Solution Rheology of Comb-like Associative Polymers: Effects of Backbone Composition and Hydrophobe Concentration, J. Rheology 48 (2004) 9304-9314.
106. A.S. Eissa, S. Bissram, S.A. Khan, “Polymerization and Gelation of Whey Protein Isolates at low pH using Transglutaminase Enzyme”, J. Agricultural and Food Chemistry 52 (2004) 4465-4464.
CV | Page 8
105. S. Siripurapu, J. M. DeSimone, S. A. Khan and R. J. Spontak, “Low-Temperature, Surface-Mediated Foaming of Polymer Films”, Advanced Materials 16 (2004) 989-994.
104. J.A Yerian, P.S. Fedkiw, S.A. Khan, “Crosslinkable Fumed Silica-based Nanocomposite Electrolytes: Role of Methacrylate Monomer in Formation of Crosslinked Silica Network”, J. Power Sources 135 (2004) 232-239.
103. Yangxing Li, Xiang-Wu Zhang, Saad A. Khan and Peter S. Fedkiw, “Attenuation of Aluminum Current Collector Corrosion in LiTFSI Electrolytes Containing Fumed Silica Nanoparticles”, Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters 7 (2004) A228-A230.
102. Xiang-Wu Zhang, Saad A. Khan, and Peter S. Fedkiw, “Novel Nanocomposite Electrolytes Using Single-Ion Conducting Fumed Silica”, Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters 7 (2004) A361-A364.
101. Xiang-Wu Zhang, Yangxing Li, Saad A. Khan, and Peter S. Fedkiw, “Inhibition of Lithium Dendrites by Fumed Silica-Based Composite Electrolytes”, J. Electrochem. Soc. 151 (2004) A1257-A1263.
100. D. J. Frankowski, J.Raez, I. Manners, M.A. Winnik, S.A. Khan and R. J. Spontak, “Formation of Dispersed Nanostructures from Poly(ferrocenyldimethylsilane-b-dimethylsiloxane) Nanotubes Upon Exposure to Supercritical Carbon Dioxide”, Langmuir 20 (2004) 9304-9314.
99. R.G. Singhal, M.D. Capracotta, J.D. Martin, S.A. Khan, P.S. Fedkiw, “Transport Properties of Hectorite-based Nanocomposite Single Ion Conductors”, J. Power Sources 128 (2004) 247-255.
98. A.A. Abdala, K. Olesen, S.A. Khan, “Solution rheology of hydrophobically modified associative polymers: Solvent quality and hydrophobic interactions”, J. Rheology, 47 (2003) 497-511.
97. A.A. Abdala, A.E. Tonelli, S.A. Khan, “Modulating Hydrophobic Interactions in Associative Polymers Through Inclusion Compounds and Surfactants,” Macromolecules 36 (2003) 7833-7841.
96. H.J. Walls, M.W. Riley, P.S. Fedkiw, R.J. Spontak, S.A. Khan, Composite Electrolytes from Self-assembled Colloidal Networks”, Electrochimica Acta 48 (2003) 2071-2077.
95. Wilder, E.A., Hall, C.K., Khan, S.A., and Spontak, R.J., “Effects of Composition and Matrix Polarity on Network Development in Organogels of Poly(ethylene glycol) and Dibenzylidene Sorbitol,” Langmuir 19(15) (2003) 6004-6013.
94. H.J. Walls, M.W. Riley, R.R. Gupta, R.J. Spontak, P.S. Fedkiw, S.A. Khan, “Nanocomposite Electrolytes from Fumed Silica and Hectorite Clays: Passive vs. Active Fillers”, Advanced Functional Materials 13 (2003) 710-717.
93. M.W. Riley, P.S. Fedkiw, S.A. Khan, “Lithium Hectorite Clay as the Ionic Conductor in LiCoO2 Cathodes” J. Electrochem. Soc. 150(7) (2003) A933-A941.
92. H.J. Walls, S.B. Caines, A. M. Sanchez, S.A. Khan, “Yield Stress and Wall Slip Phenomena in Colloidal Silica Gels”, J. Rheology 47 (2003) 847-864.
91. H.J. Walls, T.A. Zawodzinski, P.S. Fedkiw, S.A. Khan, “Ion transport in Nanocomposite Electrolytes”, J. Electrochem. Soc. 150(3) (2003) E165-E174.
90. R.J. English, J. Laurer, R. J. Spontak, S.A. Khan, “Rheology and Microstructure of Associative Polymers: Effects of Nonionic Surfactants”, Ind. Eng’g. Chem. Res. 41 (2002) 6425-6435.
89. M.D. Burke, S.Y. Ha, M.A. Pysz, S.A. Khan, “Rheology of Protein Gels Synthesized through a Combined Enzymatic and Heat Treatment Method”, Int’l. J. Biological Macromolecules 31 (2002) 37-44.
88. Wilder, E.A., Hall, C.K., Khan, S.A., and Spontak, R.J., “Molecular Self-Organization and Gelation Efficacy of Dibenzylidene Sorbitol: An Overview,” Rec. Res. Develop. Mater. Sci., 3, 93 (2002).
87. S.Siripurapu, Y.J. Gay, J.R. Royer, J.M. DeSimone, R.J. Spontak, S.A. Khan, “Generation of Microcellular Foams of PVDF and its Blends using Supercritical Carbon Dioxide in a Continuous Process”, Polymer 43 (2002) 5511-5520.
86. J.A. McCormick, C.K. Hall, S.A. Khan, “Entanglement relaxation and release in hard chain fluids during molecular dynamics simulations”, Macromolecules 35 (2002) 6005-6019.
85. J.A. McCormick, C.K. Hall, and S.A. Khan, “The effect of position along the chain on the dynamic properties of hard chain segments,” The Journal of Chem. Physics 117 (2002) 944-957.
84. M.W. Riley, P.S. Fedkiw, S.A. Khan, “Transport Properties of Lithium Hectorite-Based Composite Electrolytes” J. Electrochem. Soc. 149 (2002) A667-A674.
CV | Page 9
83. Y.Li, P.S. Fedkiw, S.A. Khan, “Lithium/V6013 Cells Using Silica Nanonparticle-based Composite Electrolytes”, Electrochemica Acta 47 (2002) 3853.
82. V.B. Pai, S.A. Khan, “Gelation and Rheology of Enzyme-modified Guar/Xanthan Blends” Carbohydrate Polymers 49 (2002) 207-216.
81. J.D. Martinache, J.R. Royer, S. Siripurapu, F.E. Henon, J. Genzer, S.A. Khan, R.G. Carbonell, “Processing of Polyamide 11 with Supercritical Carbon Dioxide”, Ind. Eng’g Chem. Res. 40 (2002) 5570-5577.
80. V.B. Pai, M. Srinivasarao, S.A. Khan, “Evolution of Microstructure and Rheology in Mixed Polysaccharide Systems” Macromolecules 35 (2002) 1699-1707
79. J.R. Royer, Y.J. Gay, M. Adams, J.M. DeSimone, S.A. Khan, “Polymer Melt Rheology with High-Pressure CO2 Using a Novel Magnetically Levitated Sphere Rheometer”, Polymer 43 (2002) 2375-2383.
78. J.R. Royer, J. M. DeSimone, S.A. Khan, “High Pressure Rheology and Viscoelastic Scaling Predictions of Polymer Melts in Liquid and Supercritical CO2” J. Poly. Sci. Polym. Phys. 39 (2001) 3055-3066.
77. J.D. Martinache, J.R. Royer, S. Siripurapu, F.E. Henon, J. Genzer, S.A. Khan, R.G. Carbonell, “Processing of Polyamide 11 with Supercritical Carbon Dioxide” Ind. Eng’g Chem. Res., 40 (2001) 5570-5577.
76. B.S. Chiou, S.R. Raghavan, S.A. Khan, “Effect of Colloidal Fillers on the Rheology of UV Curable Polymers: Gel Point Rheology & the Winter-Chambon Criteria” Macromolecules 34 (2001) 4526-4533.
75. J.S. Shay. S.R. Raghavan, S.A. Khan, “Thermoreversible Gelation in Aqueous Dispersions of Colloidal Particles Bearing Grafted Poly(ethylene oxide) Chains, J. Rheology 45 (2001) 913-928.
74. D.J. Mercurio, S.A. Khan, R.J. Spontak, “Dynamic Rheological Behavior of DBS-Induced Poly(propylene glycol) Physical Gels”, Rheologica Acta 40 (2001) 23-29.
73. M.D. Burke and S.A. Khan, “Triggered Enzymatic Degradation of a Water-soluble Polymer Using a Novel Inhibitor: A Viscometric Study”, Biomacromolecules 1 (2000) 688-695.
72. M.D. Burke, J.O. Park, M. Srinivasarao and S.A. Khan “Diffusion of Macromolecules in Polymer Solutions and Gels: A Laser Scanning Confocal Microscopy Study” Macromolecules 33(20) (2000) 7500-7507.
71. J.R. Royer, J.M. DeSimone, S.A. Khan, “High Pressure Rheology of Polystyrene Melts Plasticized with CO2: Experimental Measurements & Viscoelastic Scaling Predictions”, J. Poly. Sci. Polym. Phys. 38 (2000) 3168-3180.
70. J. McCormick, J.R. Royer, H.R. Hwang and S.A. Khan, “Tailored Rheology of a Metallocene Polyolefin Through Silane Grafting and Subsequent Silane Crosslinking”, J. Poly. Sci. Polym. Phys. 38 (2000) 2468-2479.
69. A.Tayal, S.A. Khan, “Degradation of a Water-soluble Polymer: Molecular Weight Changes and Chain Scission Characteristics”, Macromolecules 33 (2000) 9488-9493
68. S.R. Raghavan, H.J. Walls, S.A. Khan, “Rheology of Silica Dispersions in Organic Liquids: New Evidence for Solvation Forces Dictated by Hydrogen-Bonding”, 16(21) Langmuir (2000) 7920-7930.
67. J.S. Shay, R.J. English, R.J. Spontak, S.A. Khan, “Dispersion Polymerization of Polystyrene Stabilized with Novel Grafted Poly(ethylene glycol) Macromers in n-Propanol/Water”, Macromolecules 33 (2000) 6664-6671.
66. N.R. Kenkare, C.K. Hall, S.A. Khan, “Theory and Simulation of Polymer Gels”, J. Chem. Phys. 113 (2000) 404-418.
65 H.J. Walls, J. Zhou, J.A. Yerian, M.K. Stowe, G.L. Baker, P.S. Fedkiw, S.A. Khan, “Fumed Silica-based Composite Polymer Electrolytes: Synthesis, Rheology and Electrochemistry”, J. Power Sources 89(2) (2000) 156-162.
64. R.J. English, R.D. Jenkins, S.A. Khan, “Rheology of a HASE Associative Polymer and Its Interaction with Non-ionic Surfactants”, in Associative Polymers in Aqueous Media, ACS Symposium Series 765 J.E. Glass ed. (2000) 369-380.
63. S.R. Raghavan, J. Hou, G.L. Baker, S.A. Khan, “Colloidal Interactions Between Particles with Tethered Non-Polar Chains Dispersed in Polar Media: Direct Correlation Between Dynamic Rheology and Interaction Parameters”, Langmuir 16 (2000) 1066-1077.
CV | Page 10
62. C.M. Nunez, B.S. Chiou, A.L. Andrady, S.A. Khan, “Solution Rheology of Hyperbranched Polyesters and their Blends with Linear Polymers”, Macromolecules 33 (2000) 1720-1726.
61. J.S. Shay, R.J. English, S.A. Khan, “ Rheological Behavior of a Polymerically Stabilized Latex for Use in Water-borne Coatings” Polym. Eng. Sci. 40(6) (2000) 1271-1282.
60. J.R. Royer, J.M. DeSimone, S.A. Khan, “Carbon Dioxide-Induced Swelling of Poly(dimethylsiloxane)”, Macromolecules 32 (1999) 8965-8973.
59. A.Tayal, V.B. Pai, S.A. Khan, “Rheology and Microstructural Changes during Enzymatic Degradation of a Guar-Borax Hydrogel”, Macromolecules 32 (1999) 5567-5574.
58. R.J. English, S.R. Raghavan, R.D. Jenkins, S.A. Khan, “Associative Polymers Bearing n-Alkyl Hydrophobes: Rheological Evidence of Microgel-like Behavior”, J. Rheology 43 (1999) 1175-1194.
57. Walker, T.A., Raghavan, S.R., Royer, J.R., Smith, S.D., Wignall, G.D., Melnichenko, Y., Khan, S.A., and Spontak, R.J., “Enhanced Miscibility of Low-Molecular-Weight Polystyrene/ Polyisoprene Blends in Supercritical CO2,” J. Phys. Chem. B 103 (1999) 5472-5476.
56. J.H Laurer, S.A. Khan, R.J. Spontak, M.M. Satkowski, J.T. Grothaus, S.D. Smith, J.S. Lin, “Morphology and Rheology of SIS and SEPS Triblock Copolymers in the Presence of a Midblock-Selective Solvent,” Langmuir 15 (1999) 7947.
55. R.Y. Ryu, R.D. Gilbert, S.A. Khan, “The Influence of Cationic Additives on the Rheological, Optical and Printing Properties of an Ink-Jet Coating”, TAPPI Journal 82(11) (1999) 128-134.
54. A.Tayal, R.M. Kelly, S.A. Khan, “Rheology and Molecular Weight Changes during Enzymatic Degradation of a Water-soluble Polymer”, Macromolecules 32 (2) (1999) 294-300.
53. N.R. Kenkare, C.K. Hall, S.A. Khan, “Pressure Volume Properties of Endlinked Hard-Chain Polymer Networks”, J. Chem. Phys. 110 (1999) 7556-7573.
52. S.M. Gross, R.D. Givens, M. Jikei, J.R. Royer, S.A.Khan, J.M. DeSimone, “Synthesis and Swelling of Poly(bisphenol A carbonate) Using Supercritical CO2”, Macromolecules 31 (1999) 9090-9092.
51. C. Bhatt, J.R. Royer, C.R. Hwang, S.A. Khan, “Compressive Stress Relaxation of Metallocene-based Polyolefin Foams: Effects of Gamma-ray induced Crosslinking”, J. Polym. Sci. Polym. Phys. 37 (1999), 1045-1056.
50. C. Bhatt, C.R. Hwang, S.A. Khan, “Metallocene-based Polyolefin Foams: Effects of Oxidative Irradiation on Mechanical Properties”, Radiation Phys. Chem. 53 (1998) 538-547.
49. N.R. Kenkare, S.W. Smith, C.K. Hall, S.A. Khan, “Discontinuous Molecular Dynamic Studies of Endlinked Polymer Networks”, Macromolecules 31(17) (1998) 5861.
48. J. Fan, S.R. Raghavan, X-Y Yu, J. Hou, G.L. Baker, S.A. Khan, P.S. Fedkiw, “Composite Polymer Electrolytes Using Surface-Modified Fumed Silicas: Conductivity and Rheology”, Solid State Ionics 111 (1998) 117-123.
47. J.H. Laurer, J.F. Mulling, J.S. Lin, R. Bukovnik, S.A. Khan, R.J. Spontak, “Thermoplastic Elastomer Gels: II. Effects of Composition and Temperature on Morphology and Gel Rheology”, J. Polym. Sci. Polym. Phys. 36 (1998) 2513-2523.
46. J.H. Laurer, J.F. Mulling, R. Bukovnik, S.A. Khan, R.J. Spontak, “Thermoplastic Elastomer Gels: I. Effects of Composition and Processing on Morphology and Gel Rheology”, J. Polym. Sci. Polym. Phys. 36 (1998) 2379-2391.
45. S.R. Raghavan, M.W. Riley, P.S. Fedkiw, S.A. Khan, “Composite Polymer Electrolytes Based on Polyethylene Glycol and Hydrophobic Fumed Silica: Dynamic Rheology & Microstructure”, Chemistry of Materials., 10(1) (1998) 244-251.
44. B-S. Chiou, S.A. Khan, “Real-time FTIR and In Situ Rheological Studies on the UV Curing Kinetics of Thiol-ene Polymers”, Macromolecules, 30(23) (1997) 7322-7328.
43. B-S Chiou, R.J. English, S.A. Khan, “UV Cross-linking of Thiol-Ene Polymers: A Rheological Study”, in Advances in Photopolymerizations, ACS Symposium Series 673, eds: C. Bowman, A.B. Scranton, R.W. Peiffer, (1997) 150-166.
42. M.R. Marten, K.S. Wenger, S.A. Khan, “Rheology, Mixing Time and Regime Analysis for a Production-Scale Aspergillus orzyae Fermentation”, Bioreactors and Bioprocess Fluid Dynamics, ed. A.W. Nienow, BHR Publisher,Suffolk, UK, (1997) 295-313.
CV | Page 11
41. M. Joyce, R. Gilbert, S.A. Khan, “The Influence of Carboxymethylated Chitosan on the Structure, Rheology and Dewatering Properties of Clay”, TAPPI Journal 80(5) (1997) 187-190.
40. V.A. Prevysh, B-C. Wang, S.A. Khan, R.J. Spontak, “Salting-in Behavior of Isotropic and Anisotropic Hydroxypropyl Cellulose”, Coll. & Polym. Sci. 275 (1997) 284.
39. A. Tayal, R.M. Kelly, S.A. Khan, “Viscosity Reduction of Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids Through Enzymatic Hydrolysis”, Soc. Petr. Enggrs. Journal. 2(2) (1997) 204-212.
38. R.J. English, H. Gulati, R. D. Jenkins, S.A. Khan, “Solution Rheology of Hydrophobically-modified Alkali-soluble Associative Polymers”, J. Rheol. 41(2) (1997) 427-444.
37. S.R. Raghavan and S.A. Khan, “Shear-thickening Response of Fumed Silica Suspensions Under Steady and Oscillatory Shear”, J. Coll. Int. Sci. 185(1) (1997) 57-67.
36. B-S Chiou, R.J. English, S.A. Khan, “Rheology and Cross-linking of UV Curable Thiol-Ene Polymers”, Macromolecules 29(16) (1996) 5368-5374.
35. S.R. Raghavan, L.A. Chen, C. McDowell, R. Huang, S. White, S.A. Khan, “Rheological Study of Crosslinking and Gelation in Chlorobutyl Elastomer Systems”, Polymer 37(26) (1996) 5869-5875.
34. J.E. Roberts, R.J. Spontak, S.A. Khan, “Controlled Black Liquor Viscosity Reduction Through Salting-in”, AIChE Journal 42(8) (1996) 2319-2326.
33. K.A. Berchtold, L.A. Reith, S.A. Khan, “Torsional Stress Relaxation in Tight-Buffered Optical Fibers”, Optical Eng’g. 35(5) (1996) 1473-1478.
32. J.E. Roberts, R.J. Spontak, H. Jameel, S.A. Khan, “A Novel Approach to Black Liquor Viscosity Reduction Using Salt Additives”, TAPPI Journal 79(8) (1996) 167-174.
31. M.W. Frey, J.A. Cuculo, S.A. Khan, “Rheology and Gelation of Cellulose / ammonia / ammonium thiocyanate solutions”, J. Polym. Sci., Polym. Phys. 34 (1996) 2375-2381.
30. M.R. Marten, S. Velkovska, S.A. Khan, D.F. Ollis, “Rheological, Mass Transfer, and Mixing Characterization in Cellulase Producing Trichoderma reesei Suspensions”, Biotechnology Progress 12 (1996) 602-611.
29. C.M. Nunez, J.K. Whitfield, D.J. Mercurio, J.R., Ilzhoefer, R.J. Spontak, S.A. Khan, “Effect of Molecular Architecture on DBS-Induced Block Copolymer Gels: A Rheological Study ”, Makromol. Chem. Macromol. Symp. 106 (1996) 275-286.
28. C.M. McCutchen, G.D. Duffaud, P. Leduc, A.R.H. Petersen, A. Tayal, S.A. Khan, R.M. Kelly, “Characterization of Extremely Thermostable Enzymatic Breakers (α-1,6 galactosidase and ß-1,4 mannanase) From the Hyperthermophilic Bacterium Thermotoga Neapolitana Hydrolysis of Guar Gum”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering 52 (1996) 332-229.
27. M. Joyce, R. Gilbert, S.A. Khan, “The Effects of Ca++ Ions on the Water Retention of Alginate in Paper Coatings”, Journal of Pulp & Paper Sci. 22(4) (1996) J126-J130.
26. S. Raghavan, S.A. Khan, “Shear-induced Microstructure of Flocculated Suspensions of Fumed Silica” J. Rheology 39(6) (1995) 1311-1326.
25. J.R. Ilzhoefer, B.C. Broom, S.M. Nepa, E.A. Vogler, S.A. Khan, R.J. Spontak*, “Evidence of Hierarchical Order in an Amphilic Block Terpolymer Gel”, J. Phys. Chem. 99(32) (1995) 12069-12071.
24. V.A. Prevysh, R.J. Spontak, S.A. Khan, “Tailored Viscosity Reduction in Aqueous Hydroxypropyl Cellulose Solutions” in Polymers in Medicine, eds. A.G. Mikos, K.W. Leong, M.L. Tamada, M.J. Yaszemski, Mat. Res. Soc., Pittsburgh (1995) 137-142.
23. M.R. Marten, S. Velkovska, S.A. Khan, D.F. Ollis, “Steady and Dynamic Shear Characterization of Cellulase Producing Trichoderma reesei Suspensions”, Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, (1995) 319-325.
22. P.K. Kilpatrick, S.A. Khan, A. Tayal, J.C. Blackburn, “A Rheological Study of Polycrystalline Lyotropic Mesophases in the Cesium n-Tetradecanoate-Water System”, in Structure and Flow in Surfactant Solutions, eds. C.A. Herb and R.K. Prud’homme, ACS Symposium Series 578, (1994) 229-238.
21. S.A. Khan, G.L. Baker, S. Colson, “Composite Polymer Electrolytes Using Fumed Silica Fillers: Rheology & Ionic Conductivity”, Chemistry of Materials, (1994) 2359-2363.
20. S.A. Khan, N.J. Zoeller, “Dynamic Rheological Behavior of Flocculated Fumed Silica Suspensions”, J. Rheol. 37(6) (1993) 1225-1235.
CV | Page 12
19. S.A. Khan, “Effect of Shear on the Gelation of UV Curable Polymers”, J. Rheol, 36 (1992) 573-587.
18. S.A. Khan, I.M. Plitz, R.A. Frantz, “In Situ Technique for Monitoring the Gelation of UV Curable Polymers”, Rheol. Acta, 31 (1992) 151-160.
17. S.A. Khan, R.G. Larson, “Step Planar Extension of a Polymer Melt Using a Lubricated Channel”, Rheol. Acta, 30 (1991) 1-6.
16. S.A. Khan, M.A. Maruca, I.M. Plitz, “Rheology of Fumed Silica Dispersions for Fiber-Optic Cables”, Polym. Eng. Sci., 31 (1991) 1701-1707.
15. B.G. Bagley, S.A. Khan, W.E. Quinn, P. Barboux, J.M. Tarascon, “Dielectric and High Tc Superconductor Applications of Sol-gel and Modified Sol-gel Processing to Microelectronics Technology”, J. Non-Crystalline Solids, 121 (1990), 454-462.
14. S.A. Khan, B.G. Bagley, P. Barboux, F.E. Torres, “Rheological Characterization of a Sol-Gel Process for the Preparation of High Tc Superconductors”, in Processing Science of Advanced Ceramics, Proc. Vol. 155, eds. I.A. Aksay, G.L. McVay, D.R. Ulrich (Mat. Res. Soc., Pittsburgh, 1989), 95-101.
13. S.A. Khan, R.K. Prud’homme, E.M. Rabinovich, M.J. Sammon, “Rheology of the Gelation of Fluorine Doped Silica Sols”, J. Non-Crystalline Solids, 110 (1989), 153-162.
12. S.A. Khan, R.C. Armstrong, “Rheology of Foams IV. Effect of Gas Volume Fraction”, J. Rheol., 33 (1989) 881-911.
11. S.A. Khan, P. Barboux, B.G. Bagley and F.E. Torres, “Rheology of Precursors for Sol-Gel Derived YBa2Cu3O7-x Superconductors”, J. Non-Crystalline Solids, 110 (1989), 142-152.
10. S.A. Khan, E.M. Rabinovich, R.K. Prud’homme, M.J Sammon, N.J. Kopylov, “Rheological Monitoring of Gelation Kinetics of Silica Sols”, in Better Ceramics Through Chemistry III, Proc. Vol. 121, eds. C.J. Brinker, D.L. Ulrich (Mat. Res. Soc., Pittsburgh, 1988), 73-80.
9. S.A. Khan, P. Barboux, B.G. Bagley and J.M. Tarascon, “Rheological Study of a Gel-Forming Precursor for Superconducting YBa2Cu3O7-x”, Appl. Phys. Lett., 53 (1988), 700-702.
8. R.G. Larson, S.A. Khan and V.R. Raju, “Relaxation of Stress and Birefringence in Polymers of High Molecular Weight”, J. Rheol., 32 (1988), 145-161.
7. S.A. Khan, C.A. Schnepper and R.C. Armstrong, “Foam Rheology: III. Measurement of Shear Flow Properties”, J. Rheol., 32 (1988), 69-92.
6. S.A. Khan and R.K. Prud’homme, “Melt Rheology of Filled Thermoplastics”, Reviews in Chemical Engineering, 4 (1987), 205-269.
5. S.A. Khan and R.G. Larson, “Comparison of Simple Constitutive Equations for Polymer Melts in Shear and Biaxial and Uniaxial Extensions”, J. Rheol., 31 (1987), 207-234.
4. S.A. Khan, R.K. Prud’homme and R.G. Larson, “Comparison of the Rheology of Polymer Melts in Shear, and Biaxial and Uniaxial Extensions”, Rheol. Acta, 26 (1987), 144-151.
3. S.A. Khan and R.C. Armstrong, “Rheology of Foams: II. Effects of Polydispersity and Liquid Viscosity for Foams having Gas Fraction Approaching Unity”, J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech., 25 (1987), 61-92.
2. S.A. Khan, “Foam Rheology: Relation between Extensional and Shear Deformations”, Rheol. Acta, 26 (1987), 78-84.
1. S.A. Khan and R.C. Armstrong, “Rheology of Foams: I. Theory for Dry Foams”, J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech., 22 (1986), 1-22.
16. J. DeSimone, S. Siripurapu S.A. Khan, R.J. Spontak J.R. Royer, “Nano-and micro-cellular foamed thin-walled material, and processes and apparatuses for making the same”, US Patent 7,658,989 (issued 2/10)
15. R.M. Kelly, S.A. Khan, P.Leduc, A. Tayal, R.K. Prud’homme, “Compositions for Fracturing Subterranean Formations”, U.S. Patent 6,936,454 B2 (issued 8/30/2005).
14. S.A. Khan, G.W. Roberts, J.R. Royer, “CO2-assisted Depolymerization, Purification and Recycling of Step-Growth Polymers”, US Patent 6,919,383 B2 (issued 7/19/05)
13. J.R. Royer, J.M. DeSimone, G.W. Roberts, S.A. Khan, “Methods of CO2-assisted reactive extrusion”, US Patent 6,900,267 B2 (issued 5/31/05)