Phone: (787) 832-4040 Ext. 6189
Field(s):Reaction Engineering, Thermodynamics, Transport Phenomena, Applied Mathematics
- Ph.D. in Engineering, Major in Chemical Engineering, University of California, Davis
- M.Sc. in Petrochemical Processes, Central University of Venezuela, Caracas
- Ingeniero Químico (B.S. in Chemical Engineering), University of Santiago (formerly Technical University of the State), Chile
- Pharmaceutical Engineering Course, University of Puerto Rico/Université de Louvain (Belgium)
- INQU4001 Heat Transfer Operations
- INQU4002 Mass Transfer Operations
- INQU4003 Unit Operations III
- INQU4005 Materials And Energy Balances
- INQU4006 Transport Processes
- INQU4010 Momentum Transfer Operations
- INQU4012 Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics II
- INQU4015 Introduction To Chemical Engineering Kinetics And Catalysis
- INQU4017 Chemical Engineering Kinetics And Catalysis
- INQU4026 Distillation And Gas Absorption
- INQU4028 Petroleum Technology
- INQU6016 Advanced Transport Phenomena
- INQU6017 Analysis Of Separation Processes
- INQU6019 Advanced Thermodynamics
- Supercritical Fluids
- Eminent Engineer, Tau Beta Pi–The Engineering Honor Society, Puerto Rico Alpha Chapter (2011). This distinction is given to individuals who have achieved eminence in engineering on the basis of exemplary character.
- Eminent Engineer, awarded by the American Institute of Chemical Engineers’s Minority Affairs Committee (2011). Award conferred to a chemical engineer that: belongs to an underrepresented minority group; has served as mentor and role model to underrepresented minorities in engineering and other related areas in education or business environment; has outstanding technical accomplishments and distinguished service to the profession; and is well respected and recognized within the engineering communities and underrepresented minorities engineering or science organizations. Award conferred on October 17, 2011 in Minneapolis, MN.
- 2007 Distinguished Alumnus, University of Santiago, Chile, (USACh), Department of Chemical Engineering, for “standing out with relevant contributions in the engineering field.” (October 2007)
- Listed in 60th Diamond Edition of Who’s Who in America, edited by Marquis Who’s Who LLC, New Providence, New Jersey. ISBN 0837969905 (2006)
- Víctor Márquez Award given by the Interamerican Confederation of Chemical Engineering for exceptional achievements both in chemical engineering and in contribution to a member society of the Interamerican Confederation of Chemical Engineering. (September 2000)
- Listed in Who’s Who among Hispanic Americans, edited by Gale Research Inc., Detroit, Michigan. ISBN 081037451X (1990)
- Fellowship from UNESCO-University of Concepción to attend the First Latin American Symposium on Fluid Properties and Phase Equilibrium for Chemical Process Design,” held in Concepción, Chile (2-6-March 1987).
- Scholarship of the program BID-CONICET (Argentina) to attend the Internation¬al Course on Advances in Phase Equilibria for Chemical Process Design, held at Universidad Nacional del Sur, Bahía Blanca, Argentina (29 July – 3 August, 1984).
- Scholarship from FONINVES (Venezuela) to pursue graduate studies leading to a Ph.D. in Engineering at the University of California, Davis (January 1980 -October 1983).
- Certificate of Acknowledgment to Academic Excellence, awarded by Atlantic Richfield Co. (ARCO) to the best first-year, graduate students of the Univer¬sity of California, Davis, Department of Chemical Engineering (25 February 1981).
- Book Chapter Authored: N. D. Ramírez Beltrán, H. Rodríguez, and L. A. Estévez, Drug Stability, Chapter 7.2, pp. 583-639, in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Handbook: Regulations and Quality, Edited by Shayne Cox Gad, Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, NJ (2008). ISBN13: 978-0-470-25959-7
- Relevant Publications:
- 1. E. D. Revellame; W. E. Holmes; R. Hernandez; W. T. French; L. Lerma; A. Forks; T. Ashe; L. A. Estévez, “Experimental Measurement and Modeling of Type 3 Ternary System containing Decane + Water + Triacetin,” accepted for publication J. Chem. Thermodyn., (2013)
- 2. E. Vyhmeister, H. Valdés-González, A. J. Muscat, D. Suleiman, L. A. Estévez, “Surface Modification of Porous Silicon-Based Films Using Dichlorosilanes Dissolved in Supercritical Carbon Dioxide,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 52, 4762-4771 (2013)
- 3. A. H. Mondala, R. Hernandez, W. T. French, L. A. Estévez, M. Meckes, M. Trillo, J. Hall, “Preozona¬tion of primary-treated municipal wastewater for reuse in biofuel feedstock generation,” Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, 30(4), 666-674 (2011)
- 4. D. Sparks, L. A. Estévez, R. Hernández, J. McEwen, T. French, “Solubility of Small-Chain Carboxylic Acids in Supercritical Carbon Dioxide,” J. Chem. Eng. Data, 55, 4922-4927 (2010)
- 5. D. Sparks, L. A. Estévez, R. Hernández, “Supercritical-Fluid-Assisted Oxidation of Oleic Acid with Ozone and Potassium Permanganate,” Green Chemistry, 11(7), 986-993 (2009)
- 6. N. D. Ramírez-Beltrán, H. Rodríguez-Vallés, L. A. Estévez, and H. Duarte, “A Neural Network Approach to Estimate Activity Coefficients in Binary Systems,” Canad. J. Chem. Eng., 87(5), 748-760 (2009)
- 7. E. Vyhmeister, A. Muscat, D. Suleiman, L. A. Estévez, “High-Pressure Phase Equlibria for Chlorosilane + Carbon Dioxide Mixtures,” Fluid Phase Equil., 270(1-2), 121-128 (2008)
- 8. D. Sparks, R. Hernández, L. A. Estévez, “Evaluation of Density-Based Models for the Solubility of Solids in Supercritical Carbon Dioxide and Formulation of a New Model,” Chem. Eng. Sci., 63(17), 4292-4301 (2008)
- 9. D. Sparks, L. A. Estévez, R. Hernández, K. Barlow, T. French, “Solubility of Nonanoic (Pelargonic) Acid in Supercritical Carbon Dioxide,” J. Chem. Eng. Data, 53(2), 407–410 (2008)
- 10. D. Sparks, R. Hernández, L. A. Estévez, N. Meyer, T. French, “Solubility of Azelaic Acid in Supercritical Carbon Dioxide,” J. Chem. Eng. Data, 52(4), 1246 1249 (2007)
- 11. D. Suleiman, L. A. Estévez, J. C. Pulido, J. E. García, and C. Mojica, “The Solubility of Anti Inflammatory, Anti Cancer, and Anti HIV Drugs in Supercritical Carbon Dioxide,” J. Chem. Eng. Data, 50(4), 1234-1241 (2005)
- 12. J. R. Maury-Evertsz, L. A. Estévez, G. E. López, “Effect of Branching and Confinement on Star Branched Polymeric Systems,” J. Chem. Physics, 121(17), 8652-8657 (2004)
- 13. E. Jara-Morante, D. Suleiman, and L. A. Estévez, “Solubilities of Imipramine HCl in Supercritical Carbon Dioxide,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 42, 1821-1823 (2003)
- 14. J. R. Maury Evertsz, L. A. Estévez, G. E. López, “Equilibrium Properties of Confined Single Chain Homopolymers,” J. Chem. Physics, 119(18), 9925-9932 (2003)